Monday, January 30, 2012





         This is my blog for the topic organizing for empowerment. When we say empowerment, it would give power or authority to somebody. It would be a scenario like this –Administration has to empower the employees, and that would be us teachers, and teachers had to empower the students. Well it came into my mind the example of empowerment that I have given to my students. There it goes; the dean assigned my co-teacher to write a script for a drama presentation for the coming personnel’s day. She is the director, writer and well as a musical scorer of the said presentation. And the dean had told that my co-teacher would coordinate on the program heads in relating to the making of the props, namely the tent and the airplane. My co-teacher approach the education program head but she passes the responsibility to the BSIT program head. And my program head had came into an idea that I her faculty, handled Computer Graphics subject. She told me about the making of the props for the incoming personnel’s day and she would like to integrate this instruction to my computer graphics subject. My program head said that I would empower and motivate my students in relation to this instruction. Well, I created a strategy in relation to the making of tent and airplane props instruction. Because some students, I know for sure would raise questions in relating to this project that I will supposed to give. We were already in the midterm period and I already gave some instructions in relating to Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite functionalities and tools. When I gave the instruction on dividing the two groups in tent and airplane making, some students complain “Nganu pabuhaton man mi ug in.ana nga props Ma’am na graphics man ni atong subject, adobe Photoshop man ta”. (Wow...what a practical question! expected). As a teacher I directly and spontaneously rebut on that question, I told them that you’re going to design your tent and airplane in Adobe Photoshop, once you have your design; you’re going to create that in actual props, and that is called integration, a relevant integration in computer graphics. For them to motivate to create their project, I added on my explanation that each program (namely the BSBA, BSED/BEED and BSHM/HRM) had their assigned tasks in personnel’s day, and this is our task that had given to us in BSIT program. So if you’re going to submit to me the creative props, I will give you an inspired grade (for them to motivateJ). Last January 20, they never disappointed me as their teacher because they submitted overwhelming and creative props, much better than I expected.  I really acknowledge them on their effort and would really give them an overwhelming and artistic grade, hehe J. And therefore I conclude that I practice and successfully empowered my students.

According from the report of my classmate, Web’s definition of power- is the ability to recognize one’s will. Empower means to give authority to somebody. Organizing means assigning the planned tasks to various individuals or groups within the organization and cresting a mechanism to put plans into action. So if planning focuses on deciding what to do, organizing focuses on how to do it, thus after a manager has set goals and worked out a plan to accomplish those goals.  The next managerial functions are to organized people and allocate resources to carry out the plan.

In my case as an instructor or a teacher, I practice empowerment. Yes, it is because I belong in an organization that I act as a manager and a leader on my class.  I am manager who oversees the learning of my students and as well as a leader who make possible the instructions that I deliver on them. I am concerned on the system structure of my academic institution and as well as leading my students to embrace the vision and mission of the school.

                Well I just want to relate org. analysis subject on the subject that I handle, the System Analysis and Design subject. Organization is like a system that has their own entities, and each entity has their own function. A system would not be completed if there were no entities, of course. Just like in an organization, it would not be completely structured if some of the entities are lacking, or not fulfilling their said functions. In an organization, there should be planning and applied strategies. Organizing strategies are leading and controlling. Leading means that getting others to perform the necessary tasks by motivating them to achieve the organization’s goals. Controlling means a process by which a person, group, or organization consciously monitors performance and takes corrective action. In the academe that I belong, I should act as a versatile instructor, wherein if it’s not your forte, but that is the assigned subject for you, you should handle that subject because in our academe, we were only two full time IT instructors including the program head. For almost two years, there would always be new part time IT instructors on every semester; they end up always resigning or in the state of absence without leave, tsk.tsk.

                Employee empowerment is employee involvement that matters. It could also be defined as controlled transfer of authority to make decisions and take actions. Empowerment involves actively soliciting input from those closest to the work and giving careful thought to that input. Because we were only two full time IT instructors in college, I and my program head collaborate each other for the betterment of our BSIT program.  Empowerment is the key to motivation and productivity. It enables us to develop personally & professionally.

Also included in employee empowerment is the training/seminars and research development. When we say seminar, it’s good that our school has sent us into seminars wherein we can learn and gain an insight and more knowledge from the speakers. Of course, seminars from the far flung place or venue will be more of a good experience when we can have our side trip also. J You have gained knowledge and learn already from that seminar and also you have your best tour or “laag” from that place. Well, it would be also an extra expense but thinking about the opportunity or chance, you have to take that opportunity. And speaking of research development, especially in the academe, it’s very important for the faculty to be involved in a research development. Well, I handled IT Research Methods also and I can really see the importance of research in Information Technology. It’s good because I will be thinking for the innovative instructions that I will be going to give to my students in relation to research.

                My classmate had delivered the details of the topic “Called to be an Organizer”, he mentioned and discussed the “legacy” which means organizers need to help established leaders understand why new people must be brought into leadership position. Just like this scenario, an unexpected scenario- every time my program head had given me a task and I fulfill it successfully, she congratulates me and said “I’m diligent” and it’s a good “training” for me. Those words that every time I hear, well’ it’s very fulfilling to hear that, and I just really fulfill my task as a faculty and right hand of my program head. But it doesn’t come into my realizations until she told me that she had this decision that she will resign as a program head and I will be the one to take over. It’s a striking realization on me, now I realized that she always told me that “This is a good training for you”, for me to take over the responsibility as a program head? Well on my part, I really ask her the favor not to resign from the academe. It’s very distressing because almost 1 year and a half, we were into harmonious working relationship, and I considered my program head as a very good friend and a very understanding one. And now, she will be deciding to leave? And I will not be happy.  I’m not visioning myself now to be a program head because that would be a greater position and it comes greater responsibility and I’m not yet ready for that possible offer. I’m very young and “raw” for that position and it entails many obligations to fulfill.  For now, I’m very contented that I am one of the faculties.  Well, good news is; J God really answers my prayer because as of now, my program head didn’t submit any resignation letter and it’s very good to hear that she will not continue to resign. J My program head and I were planning a new generating income for this summer and I hope it would be a successful one by the help of God’ grace. And this is also considered as an organizing for empowerment vision for us - a relevant generating income. J




.  

No comments:

Post a Comment